When choosing a water based degreaser, Continental offers two excellent choices from our Mighty Boy line: Heavy Duty Emulsifying Degreaser and Heavy Duty Butyl.
Some of the features which distinguish these products are:
- A water soluble solvent is added in to the HD Butyl formula. This increases its speed in dissolving and removing soils on a variety of surfaces, making it very useful in spray cleaning applications.
- HD Butyl also has a very substantial alkaline builder system incorporated into it. This acts as a “hammer” to knock oily soils loose quickly and effectively, again contributing to the speed of soil removal. This alkaline system is powerful enough to allow the product to have dual use as a floor finish stripper!
- HD Butyl incorporates a low foam surfactant system, making for a very free-rinsing product.
- HD Emulsifying Degreaser uses a different approach, combining a foaming surfactant with a buffered alkaline system. While this approach is generally not as “speedy” as HD Butyl, it does provide excellent oil and grease “eating” capacity. This comes in handy for use in applications that don’t require a great deal of speed, such as manual mopping and spot cleaning of oily surfaces.
- HD Emulsifying Degreaser also uses an alkaline system that is built with “reserve” alkalinity. This allows it to work past the point of the initial introduction onto the surface being cleaned. Again this approach is not as “speedy” but certainly is very thorough at removing “oil bound” soils from the surface.
If soil conditions require removal of a heavy load of oil/grease by manual processes, try Mighty Boy HD Emulsifying Degreaser
If maximum speed is desired and you are pressure washing or steam cleaning, try Mighty Boy HD Butyl
Remember there is plenty of functional overlap between these two products, so these recommendations should be taken as a general guideline.
Although there are no “hard & fast” rules regarding the selection of Mighty Boy vs. 1st Choice, there are several “cues” that should be taken into consideration as follows:
- If a pleasant fragrance is part of what a customer might expect, go with 1st Choice
- If the primary use method will be spray and wipe type cleaning, go with 1st Choice
- If the cleaning task is less than heavy duty, go with 1st Choice
- If the task calls for quick cutting into and removal of soils, go with 1st Choice
- If the soils have significant oil/grease content, go with Mighty Boy
- If the soil level calls for something heavy duty, go with Mighty Boy
- If the customer is interested in economy by dilution, go with Mighty Boy
- If the primary use method will be with a scrubber, go with Mighty Boy
Continental has several floating lift station degreasers to accommodate customer preferences as follows:
- Citra-Float – this product is made up of a blend of natural citrus solvents and petroleum solvents. It has a citrus smell to provide some odor management and is non freezing for year round use. Customers who are familiar with natural citrus products will gravitate to this product.
- Grape Idea – this is a petroleum solvent product with a significant amount of grape fragrance added to it. Grape is a very “broad” fragrance in terms of what kind of smells it will cover so it is well suited to this task for wastewater. In solvent power, it is equivalent to Citra-Float (more or less) but it may evaporate in hot weather a little faster. Like Citra-Float, it is non-freezing and can be used in all weather conditions.
- Soy Float – made with a blend of citrus and soy solvent, this all natural formula has a bit of viscosity to it which increases “cling” to walls of lift stations. It is a bit less in solvent power than Citra-Float and Grape Idea, but this is balanced out in that it has a lower evaporation rate than the other two products. This product is a great choice for use during hot summer weather.