When choosing a water based degreaser, Continental offers two excellent choices from our Mighty Boy line: Heavy Duty Emulsifying Degreaser and Heavy Duty Butyl.
Some of the features which distinguish these products are:
- A water soluble solvent is added in to the HD Butyl formula. This increases its speed in dissolving and removing soils on a variety of surfaces, making it very useful in spray cleaning applications.
- HD Butyl also has a very substantial alkaline builder system incorporated into it. This acts as a “hammer” to knock oily soils loose quickly and effectively, again contributing to the speed of soil removal. This alkaline system is powerful enough to allow the product to have dual use as a floor finish stripper!
- HD Butyl incorporates a low foam surfactant system, making for a very free-rinsing product.
- HD Emulsifying Degreaser uses a different approach, combining a foaming surfactant with a buffered alkaline system. While this approach is generally not as “speedy” as HD Butyl, it does provide excellent oil and grease “eating” capacity. This comes in handy for use in applications that don’t require a great deal of speed, such as manual mopping and spot cleaning of oily surfaces.
- HD Emulsifying Degreaser also uses an alkaline system that is built with “reserve” alkalinity. This allows it to work past the point of the initial introduction onto the surface being cleaned. Again this approach is not as “speedy” but certainly is very thorough at removing “oil bound” soils from the surface.
If soil conditions require removal of a heavy load of oil/grease by manual processes, try Mighty Boy HD Emulsifying Degreaser
If maximum speed is desired and you are pressure washing or steam cleaning, try Mighty Boy HD Butyl
Remember there is plenty of functional overlap between these two products, so these recommendations should be taken as a general guideline.